DIY Photo Booth Backdrops
If you’ve been to a wedding recently (or even just on Instagram), you may have seen a fun photo backdrop for people to pose in front of. Not only are these photo backdrops really fun, but they make it easy for your guests to celebrate the occasion and mix things up a bit when they get tired of being on the dance floor.
The good news is that these backdrops are SUPER easy to DIY. Using flowers that match your wedding, you can create a simple flower backdrop like this one from Gifts.com. Add in some fun props like hats or masks to make the photo backdrop even more fun. Your guests will love the variability and creativity, meaning you’ll be sure to get some fun photo op moments!
DIY Photo Backdrop Stand
One of the best ways to create photo backdrops is by making your own backdrop stand. This way you can reuse it for different celebrations and move it around easily. We’ll show you how to build a backdrop stand, plus two ways to decorate it!
The great thing about a photo backdrop stand is how easy and cheap it is to make! Plus, it’s simple to customize the dimensions to fit your space. All you need is a few materials from your local hardware store.
We used 1.25 inch PVC pipe throughout.
- 4 – T connectors
- 2 – elbow connectors
- 4 – 1.5 foot long pieces
- 2 – 4 inch long pieces
- 2 – 5 foot long pieces
- 2 – 6.5 foot long pieces
Most hardware stores will cut the PVC pipe for you, so just make sure you give them the proper dimensions listed above. You can also opt to cut the PVC pipe on your own. If you’re going to cut the pipe at home, add a PVC ratchet cutter to your materials list. Follow the tutorial here for cutting instructions.
Now that you’ve gathered all your materials, it’s time to learn how to make a backdrop stand. Follow these six steps for a photo backdrop stand that will liven up your party! Bonus points if you paint the PVC a fun color beforehand if you’ll see it in the shots.
Step 1 – Begin by building the legs of the stand. Insert a 4 inch pipe in the middle of the T connector and two 1.5 foot pieces on the sides. Repeat for the second leg.
- Optional: Add caps to the legs if you would like.
Step 2 – Add another “T” connector to top of the 4 inch pipes.The middle “T” line should be facing inwards.
Step 3 – Connect the two base pieces by attaching a 5 foot pipe to each of the “T” connectors that are facing inwards.
Step 4 – Add the sides of the photo backdrop by attaching the two 6.5 foot pipes to the upward facing openings on the “T” connectors.
Step 5 – Add the two elbow connectors to the tops of the 6.5 foot pipes.
Step 6 – Connect across by attaching the remaining 5 foot pipe to the elbow connectors.
DIY Photo Backdrop with Fringe
Add some texture to your photo backdrop with colorful fringe triangles. This option is great for any type of party from New Year’s to birthdays. Just choose tissue paper that matches your theme, cut, tape and voila, you have a backdrop!
DIY Photo Backdrop with Flowers
Fresh flowers are hard to resist! Give your bridal shower, birthday party or bachelorette party a floral touch with this photo backdrop. Mix in leaves for a pop of green, and make sure you choose long lasting flowers for a backdrop that will last all day.
25 More DIY Photo Backdrop Ideas
To help you think of more creative ways to use your backdrop frame, we’ve rounded up a few more photo backdrop ideas for your next party. Enjoy!
- Paper Chain Photo Backdrop by The House That Lars Built
- Herringbone Paper Photo Backdrop by Glitter Guide
- Hanging Yarn Photo Backdrop by Bespoke Bride
- Balloon Arch Photo Backdrop by ProFlowers
- Fan Paper Photo Backdrop by A Pretty Cool Life
- Streamer Photo Backdrop by Wedding Wire
- Lighted Photo Backdrop by Wedding Bee
- Colorful Paper Plate Photo Backdrop by Oh Happy Day
- Balloon Photo Backdrop by Lovely Indeed
- Wax Paper Delicate Hanging Photo Backdrop by Style Me Pretty
- Tissue Paper Flower Photo Backdrop by Lovely Indeed
- Marshmallow Backdrop by Green Wedding Shoes
- Fabric Strip Photo Backdrop by The Blissful Bee
- Painted Geometric Photo Backdrop by A Bubbly Life
- Fabric Circle Photo Backdrop by Ruffled
- Doily Photo Backdrop by Sarah Hearts
- Big Fringe Garland Photo Backdrop by Oh Happy Day
- Romantic Sign Photo Backdrop by Brides Magazine
- Tropical Leaves Photo Backdrop by Brit + Co
- Under the Sea Photo Backdrop by Lia Griffith
- Floating Heart Photo Backdrop by Design Love Fest
- Star Garland Photo Backdrop by Babble
- Wrapping Paper Photo Backdrop by Mrs. Beach Bride
- Floating Confetti Photo Backdrop by Studio DIY
- Geometric Shapes Photo Backdrop by Green Wedding Shoes