Like many of the various things that you have to check off of your wedding to-do list, dress shopping should be something you’re prepared for. After your online inspiration search is complete, adventuring out to a few local stores is next! Finding “The Dress” that’ll give you the confidence you’ll need for your wedding day is essential. So we asked Kathy Bado, a wedding expert to share her best tips for wedding dress shopping, and everything you need to know is right below!
Photo via Brides
1. Establish a budget
Do some research ahead of time and find out the price point of your favorite designer or dress so you’re well prepared when you start trying on dresses. Also, be honest with your consultant about what you want to spend.
2. Start looking for a dress about 12 months before your wedding
Most bridal dresses are special order and can take up to 9 months or more to arrive.
3. Don’t take too many people with you when trying on dresses
Too many opinions can ruin a wonderful experience and can make your decision much more difficult than necessary.
4. Be realistic about what looks best on you.
Unless you’re 6′ tall and a size 2, it’s unlikely you’ll look just like the models in your favorite dress designer’s ads, so be honest and open to looking your personal best.
5. Be open to trying on styles recommended by an educated bridal consultant.
It’s almost impossible to tell what a dress will really look like if you’ve only seen it on the hanger.
6. Resist the temptation to compare yourself to other brides.
If you feel beautiful in your dress you will be beautiful. Constantly comparing yourself can ruin the most wonderful day of your life.
– Wedding Dress Shopping Tips from Kathy Bado, Owner of The Wedding Factor Event Planning and Bridal Boutique